Top Dog for Loft Conversions, House Renovations & House Extensions in Hull | Wade Joiners & Builders

Whether it’s your first time investing in a property improvement, or you’re a veteran who has done almost everything possible to transform your home into the best possible version of itself, you’re likely to have certain questions when considering calling in a building contractor or joinery contractor. That’s why on this page, we’ve looked to answer a few of the most common queries we receive regarding projects like house renovations, house extensions, loft conversions and new builds.


It’s by no means exhaustive, and we urge you to pick up the phone and call us should you have a different question or want to receive a quote on any of the building and joinery services detailed throughout our website. Just dial 01422 612 276. While we’re based in Halifax, Hull is an area which we are especially active within.


Your Queries, Answered



What separates you from any old Hull building contractor or joinery contractor?


Wade Joiners & Builders has been going since 1968, making us one of the oldest building contractors / joinery contractors still operating in Hull and its surrounds. But it’s not just our history; we’re a member of the top industry body, the National Federation of Builders, and ensure all our employees have relevant NVQ qualifications. This allows them to deliver everything from house extensions and house refurbishments, to loft conversions and new build schemes to an exceptional standard.


Will I require planning permission for my home improvement?


It depends on the improvement. Loft conversions, garage conversions and basement conversions will generally only require an application if significant structural changes are called for. For example, if you’re keen on mansard loft conversions which require the roofline to be altered in a much more obvious way than with alternative styles.


Hull property owners keen on house refurbishments can breathe a sigh of relief as only listed buildings really ever require the green stamp. House extensions often do require permission, however. Look up the Permitted Development Rules online, or if you’re unsure – call a Wade building contractor / joinery contractor on 01422 612 276.


Despite house extensions, house refurbishments and loft conversions – what do you take on?


Anything and everything! From minor tasks that a joinery contractor can deal with in a matter of minutes, to major work requiring a skilled building contractor – like the construction of conservatories, orangeries and complete new build schemes. While some companies around Hull say that can take on all shapes and sizes of project, but largely mean this as hyperbole, we actually can. This goes for both domestic and commercial clients.


What’s the difference between first fix and second fix joinery?


Good question! First fix refers to all the major, structural work that a joinery contractor / building contractor will take on when carrying out things like house extensions, house refurbishments and loft conversions. For example, erecting walls and supports, or altering a roof. Second fix is all the general carpentry, which is usually carried out after plastering is finished. While some companies specialise in one area or the other, we take on both! This makes us relatively unique amongst firms active in and around Hull.

If you have a different query, or want advice from Hull’s go-to building contractor, call 01422 612 276. We specialise in house extensions, loft conversions and house refurbishments.

Quick Contact

Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.

telephone icon
envelope icon